- You’ll be given access to all of the course materials and writing activities at the beginning of your course
- There’s a week-by-week structure to each course, but when you choose to log in, work through the course materials, and message your tutor during the week is entirely up to you
- Working to the weekly structure gives you the best opportunity to progress with your writing and get the most from the Q&A sessions with Penguin Random House Editors
Flexible Learning From Anywhere
- Studying a creative writing course online gives you the flexibility to work wherever and whenever suits you
- There’s no requirement to study at specific times of the day or on specific days of the week, as there are no ‘live’ classes or tutorials, or set times to log in
- Our online creative writing courses are delivered through a world-class educational platform, which allows you to connect easily with Penguin Random House experts and fellow writers, wherever you are in the world
The Course Content
- The course materials consist of podcasts, videos, written content and links to external resources, all designed to help you become a better writer
- Each creative course covers a different topic each week, for example, Beginnings, The Writing Process and Narrative Voice
- Each week provides between 5-15 hours of distance learning across the course materials and activities, depending on your chosen course
- While the course materials and activities guide you through your course, it is your Tutor who will provide essential guidance, support, advice and individual feedback on your writing
- You can message your Tutor at any time, and they’ll normally respond to your messages within 24 hours, Monday to Friday
- Regular communication with your tutor is encouraged, and is integral to our courses – we pride ourselves on the high level of tutor support, and personalised feedback students receive
Using the Study Site
Once you have logged into your online writing studio, you will arrive at your dashboard. From here, you can navigate to the:
- learning materials
- tutor messages
- and forums
As you work your way through the learning materials and weekly writing activities, you’ll be able to message your tutor for advice and feedback in the Tutorial area.
The Forums are a space in which you can communicate with fellow writers on the course – pitching ideas and receiving peer feedback.
To use the study site and upload your writing activities, all you’ll need is a desktop computer or laptop (PC or Mac), Word processing software, and access to the internet – nothing else.
While studying on the course you won’t be required to do anything particularly difficult or technical. However, we’re aware that online study is new for many of our writers, and so we’re on hand to help.
The ‘Induction’ section of the study site is the ideal resource to use to get acquainted. This explains how to navigate the site, access course content and communicate with your Tutor and peers during your studies with The Writers’ Academy.
If you have any technical problems, you can contact the Course Manager and our dedicated Support and Technical team through the study site.